Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Enhancing performance 1978 RG

Enhancing performance 1978 RG 1 week 1 day ago #1889

Not turbo, but 300 HP STC:

www.airplains.com/cessna-182-rg-conversion

A 300 HP n/a engine will produce around 230 HP at 7,000’ (sea level power in your standard engine).
Last Edit: 1 week 1 day ago by JOSE LOPEZ DEL PUERTO.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Enhancing performance 1978 RG 1 week 1 day ago #1887

Steve, many thanks. I have 200 hours on my Western Skyways overhaul so no new engine but I will follow up on GAMI. My aircraft is 182 RG but same issue

Enhancing performance 1978 RG 2 weeks 23 hours ago #1864

• STEVE ELLS
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 50
Drew;
There are two approved options to increase the performance of your 177RG.
The first is the installation of a 210 hp IO 390 in place of your IO 360. This STC is owned by Lycoming Engines.
The second is the installation of a turbo charger on your IO 360 A1B6 or A1B6D engine. This is owned by General Aviation Modifications Inc (GAMI) Its website URL is www.GAMI.com.

I have had the pleasure of riding along in a turbo charger equipped 177RG on a flight from Lakeport, California to Bremerton, WA. We climbed up to 17,500 feet going North and 16,500 flying south and motored right along.
In addition to getting sea level power up to approximately 12,000 feet, the turbo also makes the mid teen altitudes do-able. That's too high for most piston power airplanes and too low for turbo prop and turbine power airplanes. The result is less traffic, and increased opportunity to get direct routings from ATC.

Enhancing performance 1978 RG 2 weeks 2 days ago #1863

I absolutely love everything about my aircraft since I have redone almost the entire plane from nose to tail. A new Western Skyways
overhaul a couple of 2 years ago with a new three blade propeller, new interior and many improvements on annual have made a true pleasure to fly despite its nose heavy characteristics, I love it. One of my favorite flights is from my home KRBD in Dallas to my Colorado home, I fly into KCOS. However, in the summer
getting into and out of Colorado Springs with field elevation 7000'it can be tough without a turbocharger. I have tried to find a source to add turbocharging or super charging, talked to Wester Skyways, and they don't do Lycoming and no STC for the RG, I talked with Texas Skyways, same no STC, AeroForce who does supercharging for Continental not Lycoming engines and no STC for RG and coming up short. Does anyone have suggestions of someone who does turbo or super to the RG???
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds