Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fuel Burn 182Q?

Fuel Burn 182Q? 6 months 1 week ago #818

• STEVE ELLS
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 26
Hey George;
I type digital optical propeller tachometer into a search engine and lots of units came up. Some priced as low as $30. If you want a stand alone battery powered one, there seem to be plenty available.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Fuel Burn 182Q? 6 months 1 week ago #816

STEVE ELLS wrote:
Hi George;
I bought a stand alone portable tach years ago that I use. It's been a good unit but now I see that there are many much less expensive units out there. I looked in the Apple App store and didn't find a tachometer app that seems usable. Which one do you have/use?
Thanks

I had used a free app and it didn't work that well and I must have deleted it because I can't find it on my IPhone now. Some of the guys on the grumman gang use one that cost a few dollars, but don't remember the name of it. When i get some time I will search for it and let you know.
george

Fuel Burn 182Q? 6 months 2 weeks ago #811

• STEVE ELLS
  • Expert Boarder
Hi George;
I bought a stand alone portable tach years ago that I use. It's been a good unit but now I see that there are many much less expensive units out there. I looked in the Apple App store and didn't find a tachometer app that seems usable. Which one do you have/use?
Thanks

Fuel Burn 182Q? 6 months 2 weeks ago #810

STEVE ELLS wrote:
Hi George;
I checked your figures against Chapter 5 in the 182Q Information Manual for that power setting and approximate altitude. Book cites 13.1 gallons per hour at recommended lean mixture settings.
The fuel consumption numbers you cite are very closely in line with a power setting of 22 inches MAP and 2200 rpm.
If you still have the original tachometer it's very likely that it is no longer accurate and may be showing 2300 while the engine is turning 2200 rpm.
Your mechanic may have a tachometer checker to check the actual propeller rpm.

Steve, thanks for posting on this. I am an A&P and do all my own work and I do have an app on my IPhone for checking this, but never bothered to check it yet since the tach had been replaced some years back. I do understand that many older aircraft have inaccurate tachs.
george

Fuel Burn 182Q? 6 months 2 weeks ago #809

• STEVE ELLS
  • Expert Boarder
Hi George;
I checked your figures against Chapter 5 in the 182Q Information Manual for that power setting and approximate altitude. Book cites 13.1 gallons per hour at recommended lean mixture settings.
The fuel consumption numbers you cite are very closely in line with a power setting of 22 inches MAP and 2200 rpm.
If you still have the original tachometer it's very likely that it is no longer accurate and may be showing 2300 while the engine is turning 2200 rpm.
Your mechanic may have a tachometer checker to check the actual propeller rpm.

Fuel Burn 182Q? 6 months 3 weeks ago #800

Concerning my new to me 182Q, what is the typical fuel burn at 2200 manifold pressure and 2300 RPM at say 5500 foot altitude at 20 degrees F? I just made a cross country of 253NM and it came out around 12 GPH roughly by topping the 80 gallon tanks off before departure and sticking it on landing. Is this a typical fuel burn?
george
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds