Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sure fly magneto

Sure fly magneto 2 days 16 hours ago #1703

Hi Jose. I’m not mad. Just disappointed. Sure fly asked me if I wanted another one. As of today they still don’t know what went wrong. They did find an abnormality in it.
I agree on the electronic reliability of firing a spark plug. I would not like a car with a distributor cap like my 1946 Willy’s.
I’ve been flying since 1980 and have never had a magneto miss in the 4 certified planes I have owned.
I do like the idea. My plane started better. I’m still waiting for a final report. Seems scary they can’t go right to the problem.
I’m not the only one who has had a problem.
Tanks for the wisdom. I’ll continue to swim near the ground.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sure fly magneto 2 days 16 hours ago #1702

• Steve Rhode
  • Subscriber
  • Thank you received: 1
Richard,

I'm sure sorry you had those issues with your magneto. I would hate to sour anyone off of an electronic ignition so let me share my story.

Jose, I guess this is more for you.

I have a 182P with a PPONK and installed an www.electroair.net/ Electroair certified electronic ignition system (EIS) in place of one of my Slick magnetos.

There is a difference between the Sure Fly and Electroair. While they are both EI systems I can tell you the Electroair has provided me with a noticeable lower fuel burn, better high altitude performance, and MP adjustable timing. I'm not sure I could say it makes me go any faster or not.

I have had two issues with my Electroair. The first is minor. I had an alternator failure in flight and that is not tremendous with an EIS once the battery dies. And of course, on that day my non-EIS mag was running a little rough so I opted to land instead of just turning off the EIS and relying on the mechanical mag. And by the way, the rough mechanical mag turned out to be a loose plug wire from when my former mechanic installed my 500-hour overhauled mag.

Ironically, as I write this my plane is awaiting the arrival of a replacement coil pack for my Electroair. But I purchased my Electroair from SmoothPower smoothpowerllc.com/ which is owned by Darrell Pool. There are not enough kind words to describe Darrell. He is knowledgeable, smart, and stands completely behind the Electroair system. I have learned from experience that Darrell and Smooth Power have my back and I'm not worried one bit that my issue is getting resolved.

Darrell worked closely with my mechanics to help diagnosis the problem I recently developed and he stands behind the product.

I don't want this to come across as a sales post, it's not. Even though I've had this coil pack issue I would not want to remove my EIS system and feel it is a true blessing when it is happy.

Hopefully, the negative experience you had with your Sure Fly won't chase people completely away from an EIS.

Steve

Sure fly magneto 3 days 8 hours ago #1700

Thanks, Richard.

My factory engine is still new, so I have several hundred hours to go with my magnetos, but I think electronic ignition will be the standard in our aviation engines in the coming years, just as it has been in our cars for 40 or more years.

I have a hangar in a neighborhood of experimentals and almost every one has electronic ignition an loves it. Several of them are flying SureFly units with zero problems, so this is why I was interested in learning the details about yours. Of course, you have plenty of reasons to be mad, but as Don Quixote said: “One swallow does not make a summer”.

Thank you por sharing your experience.

Regards,
Jose
Last Edit: 3 days 7 hours ago by JOSE LOPEZ DEL PUERTO.

Sure fly magneto 3 days 15 hours ago #1698

My mechanics set it the way sure fly told him to.
I hope you don’t have one. I’m glad to get rid of it and go back to new magnetos. I was so sorry I didn’t research this more before the purchase. It was a 5 grand screwup.

Sure fly magneto 3 days 18 hours ago #1697

Richard,
Was your SureFly in fixed or advanced timing mode?
Jose

Sure fly magneto 5 days 15 hours ago #1692

• STEVE ELLS
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
Hi Richard,
Thanks for the update on your bad experience with the SureFly replacement mag.
I do not work for them; my response was based on what you posted in your first message. I didn't have much to work with so I ran down some basic trouble shooting ideas.
I am very interested in your experience with SureFly. It hasn't been on the market long and so I don't have much feedback. If it works as advertised, it seems like a step forward over the mechanical magneto but if it's troublesome, then SureFly has some more work to do.
Glad you got your money back;
Best,
Steve
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds