Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lean of peak operation problem on IO-470

LOP operation on O-470 and a Savvy analysis 4 months 2 days ago #989

Jose,

I was accidentally alarmed by a few of the same section titles that you noted, but that's "Maximum CHT in Cruise" as opposed to "Average". So, although there my have been a spurious spike in CHT for a few seconds before I caught it, adjusted my climb speed, etc, I'm not as much concerned by these "single event" sections.

My CHT alarm is set at 410, but I normally run in the 380-390 range during climb, as 115kias seems to be a pretty good tradeoff between Vx, Vy, and CHTs.

Fly safe!

Omar
The administrator has disabled public write access.

LOP operation on O-470 and a Savvy analysis 4 months 2 days ago #988

Steve,

Thanks for the look over the shoulder.

I do lean to 35F LOP on the first one to peak, so it sounds like there is not as much alarm as I thought they might have been making.

Omar

Lean of peak operation problem on IO-470 4 months 2 days ago #986

• STEVE ELLS
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
Sorry to hear you won't be flying for a while; my airplane has been down due to some maintenance items for the last few months. I am itching to get back in the air.
I suggest you try flying using Rich of Peak leaning procedures and see what that does to your high CHTs.
Continental writes that it's OK to fly at Peak EGTs (measured from the FIRST cylinder to peak) at 65 percent power and lower.
As you probably know, best power is where the mixture is set at 80 to 100 degrees Rich of Peak.
Try it, and let me know how that affects your CHT numbers.

Lean of peak operation problem on IO-470 4 months 2 days ago #985

• Ed Fogle
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks Steve. I won’t be back to flying my plane for a few weeks. Will follow your advice then and report back.

LOP operation on IO-470 and a Savvy analysis 4 months 2 days ago #983

John “Omar” Bradley wrote:
The Savvy reports note such things as--
Median Percent Power lower than 94% of the cohort: "Contributing to longer than average cylinder life."
Maximum CHT in Cruise higher than 89% of the cohort: "...does not bode well for the longevity of your cylinders."
Maximum RPM, maximum MAP, average oil pressure, etc: nominal.
Median Average oil temps...too high.

So, I'm confused. Am I running 35d LOP correctly and it's hurting my engine, or am I flying LOP incorrectly and doing something wrong...

100 or 300 HP, ROP or LOP, 431 degrees of CHT in cruise is too high. Most 182 operators try to keep the max CHT in cruise below 380 (my alarm is at 390). Obviously your CHT is way above average and this is what the report says. As mentioned, such high CHT is not good for cylinders longevity.

Last Edit: 4 months 2 days ago by Jose Lopezdelpuerto.

LOP operation on IO-470 and a Savvy analysis 4 months 3 days ago #982

• STEVE ELLS
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
I recommend that you take the time to make sure all the connections in the sensors are correct, clean and tight. I believe the SAVVY people also suggested this.
Until the readings are stable for all parameters, it's hard to determine what's a real problem, and what's an indicating problem.
Question> When you say you're running 35 deg lean of peak, are you leaning off of the EGT of the FIRST cylinder to peak?? I ask because some pilots mis understand leaning and believe they need to lean off the cylinder with the HOTTEST EGT.
Other than the CHT that reached 434 deg (am I reading the report correctly?) I am not alarmed.
Let me know what you find.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds