Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 182 firewall reinforcement?

182 firewall reinforcement? 4 months 2 hours ago #1529

Wow - that is great to hear.

Do you have a link to it?

Who are the 3rd parties that sell them?

I have not seen the plane yet but it is a 182E and I suspect it will need some of the upgrades. We will look it over in the prebuy.

Thanks,
D.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

182 firewall reinforcement? 4 months 2 hours ago #1528

• Paul Gryko
  • Subscriber
  • Thank you received: 3
Darin,
You would need a few components to make this work. We sell STC SA04126NY that beefs up the lower firewall. The upper diagonal cross bracing is available aftermarket from a 3rd party.

Paul
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jen D, DARIN DIVINIA

182 firewall reinforcement? 4 months 2 days ago #1524

I have not seen the plane yet, but I will check.

I have heard those kits are long out of stock.

D.

182 firewall reinforcement? 4 months 1 week ago #1509

• Jen D
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 7
I found this info in a previous article by CFA Contributing Editor, Steve Ells:
"I would suggest you consider installing the firewall reinforcements if you plan to do a lot of backcountry flying. It’s possible that some time in the past the service kit (SK182-44C) that includes those reinforcements was installed in the field.

It’s easy to determine if the firewall and tunnel stiffener kit has been installed. If it has, you’ll see what is called a “hat” section of metal on the forward side of the firewall. The hat section reinforcement is installed diagonally between the upper engine mount bolt on the firewall and a spot near the center of the lower firewall. Each side will have the hat section reinforcement.

If you do not have the firewall service kit installed, and you want to install it prior to flying out to unimproved strips, you will have to call a Cessna parts authority to see what the lead time and price will be. (CFA members can call the Association at 626-844-0125 for parts locating assistance. It’s a membership benefit, and we’re happy to help. —Ed.)"

Let me know if that's what you are looking for.

Jen

182 firewall reinforcement? 4 months 2 weeks ago #1508

I am looking at a 182E and I am planning on using it for grass and off airport work. Any aftermarket products to strengthen the firewall?

D.

182 firewall reinforcement? 4 years 3 months ago #267

• CFA Staff 10
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Here is what I've received from CFA's A&P Steve Ells:
Best, Scott Sherer
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2015 9:48 AM
Subject: RE: cessna flyer forum question for firewall issue.

Hi Scott;
Can you try to find out more about what repair is needed. A digital photo often helps.
I did not find any STCs to reinforce the firewall.
But I did find some information that applies to firewall repairs in the single engine structural repair manual as follows:
. Material
NAME NUMBER MANUFACTURER USE
Firewall Sealant
AMS 3374
Pro-Seal #700-A Loctite Aerospace
Bay Point, CA 94565
Firewall sealant
3. Repairing the Firewall Assembly
A. Firewall sheets may be repaired by removing damaged material and splicing in a new section. The
splice must be lapped over the old material, sealed and secured with steel rivets.
(1) Patches, splices and joints must be repaired using MS20450 steel rivets.
B. Following any repair to the firewall assembly, seal the damaged areas as follows:
(1) Clean area on surface to be sealed with methyl propyl ketone.
(2) Mix one part of catalyst thoroughly with 100 parts of Pro-Seal No. 700 base.
NOTE: Sealant should be mixed by weight. It is important that accelerator be completely and
uniformly dispersed throughout the base compound.
(3) Using a spatula, caulking gun, or flow gun, apply a fillet of sealer along cracks, seams, joints,
and rows of rivets.
NOTE: If the sealant is applied before the parts are mated, use enough sealing compound
to completely fill the joint, and wipe away excess after parts are mated.
NOTE: If the sealant is applied with a brush or a brush flow gun, more than one coat of sealant
will be necessary on very porous material. Sealant should be allowed to air-dry 10
minutes between coats.

I also copied an answer I earlier wrote about reinforcing Cessna firewalls in the 6-15-2014 Cessna QandA:
I'm sorry to tell you but a bent firewall is not an uncommon Cessna 182 problem. The combination of a big engine and big fuel tanks that are located forward of the empty weight center of gravity set the stage for a nose gear first landing.
Add two people in the pilot and copilot seats and the odds of wheelbarrow landings increase still further.
I have also heard pilot report that there just isn't enough elevator power generated at lower approach-to-landing airspeeds to keep the nose gear from touching down first.
There's a real possibility that if there's evidence of a bent firewall the tunnel area aft of the firewall is also bent.
In 1970 when Cessna upped the MTOW for 182s from 2800 pounds to 2950 it began reinforcing 182 firewalls during production of new 182s.
On February 19, 1971 Cessna issued Single Engine service instruction SE71-5 titled "Firewall and Front Tunnel Reinforcement." This instruction applied to all Cessna 182 airplanes between serial number 18253599 (beginning 1962) and serial number 18260290 (early 1970). The instruction is a response to complaints of bent firewalls from the field. SE71-5 quotes 75 man hours to make the modifications; however this estimate includes the engine removal and re-installation to provide access to the firewall and includes both the firewall and the forward tunnel reinforcements. The instruction does refer to Service Kit SK182-44. This kit included 11 pages of instructions and all the parts needed for the installation. I called the Cessna Piston Hotline for information and pricing on this kit. Unfortunately, it's no longer available. The part numbers for the two reinforcements and the two angles needed are 0713290-3, 07132900-4, 0713671-3 and 0713671-4. I didn't have much luck running down these parts numbers but when I got out the parts book for mid 1970 and later 182 the reinforcement part numbers (0753102-1 and -2) and the angle part numbers (0753600-11 and -12) were available. I'd press your shop hard to use the Service Kit information to install the reinforcement during the firewall repair.
I used to fly a 1966 182 single pilot and I very quickly learned that I could control the landing deck angle very well by putting my tool box (50 to 60 pounds) in the baggage compartment. That weight moved the CG aft. After this discovery, I always carried my tool box and from then on it was easy to flare for landing.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds