Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: P210 "ALT RE" Fuse

P210 "ALT RE" Fuse 2 months 4 weeks ago #1016

• STEVE ELLS
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
Hi, I want to help you out. But you write that the the problem is fixed by re-setting the "Alt Re" FUSE that has popped out. I'm going to assume you mean the ALT REG Circuit breaker (CB).
You didn't say WHEN the CB popped out. If if popped out (and the low voltage light illuminated) when the landing gear was put up or put down, this indicates that the landing gear motor initial current draw is large and that the Over voltage unit sees this surge as a system over-voltage, and does its job of protecting the avionics and other electrical circuit components by opening field circuit, thereby taking the alternator off line.
There is a note on the alternator wiring diagram that shows a capacitor that can be installed "only when required to prevent overvoltage sensor tripout during gear cycling." It is only to be installed if the C543003-103 overvoltage sensor is installed.
However, as was mentioned above installation of a Zeftronics voltage regulator, which incorporates advanced over and under voltage protection, field ground protection and built in troubleshooting lights is an improvement over the existing alternator control system.
I believe the overvoltage relay in the existing Cessna alternator control system is removed when the Zeftronics alternator control unit is installed.
The correct Zeftronics unit for your P210N is the R25400. It's available at aviation supply houses such as Aircraft Spruce and Specialty (www. aircraftspruce.com.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith Obermeyer

P210 "ALT RE" Fuse 3 months 4 days ago #1015

• DOUGLAS VINCENT
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Keith

I have been through the vicious circle of alternator and electrical problems.. Our trip to Oshkosh this year was delayed due to the ongoing problem. Fortunately i found a mechanic that understood the system and did not just throw parts at it.

i would advise would be careful and not just throw parts at the problem. Try to trouble shoot the situation.

I would be glad to talk to you about the situation and what I learned. I did spend a lot of time at Oshkosh talking to alternator people, controller people and battery suppliers.

Doug
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith Obermeyer

P210 "ALT RE" breaker 3 months 1 week ago #1014

The Alt Reg (alternator regulator) breaker feeds the ALT side of your master switch. When you turn on the ALT side, the regulator (ACU) is energized.

See Section 7 “Airplanes and Systems description” of your POH.

Frequently an ocasional light-on problem is solved in flight turning off and on the left side of the master switch. Transient high voltage peaks can trigger out the ACU voltage to the alternator. Some times the master switch should replaced (contact points burn and corrode).

What is not common is the Alt Reg breaker popping out. Could be a wiring problem or a failing ACU. Check the full length of the wire from the breaker to the switch to the ACU. If you need to replace the ACU, do it with a Zeftronics unit. Much better product than the original.

Congratulations for you new Cessna!

Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by Jose Lopezdelpuerto.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jen D, Keith Obermeyer

P210 "ALT RE" Fuse 3 months 1 week ago #1013

I recently purchased a P210N. I have approximately 50 hours in this aircraft this summer and have flown it mostly to a vacation home and back on 1.5 hour hops. Three times I have experienced a low voltage warning light illumination. Each time the problem was rectified by resetting the "Alt Re" fuse which had popped, triggering the low voltage situation. I can't find any info on this fuse in the POH and would like to understand the purpose of it, and whether the occasional trip is something to be concerned about. My thought is to have the fuse replaced first to rule it out of the equation. Any 210 operators out there have a similar experience with this fuse?? Any info is greatly appreciated. BTW - the P210 has been everything I had hoped for in my step up from a 182. The more I fly this plane the more I like it!
Time to create page: 0.326 seconds