Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: flying tips

flying tips 4 days 3 hours ago #586

• kent
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2
Thank you Steve for your advice and insight. Ever so much appreciated!
Kent
The administrator has disabled public write access.

flying tips 4 days 5 hours ago #585

Steve thanks for your input. I have downloaded the POH and studied the information. Your advise to lean on the ground is useful info and I agree, thanks for the 35hr. oil change, I used 30 hrs for my 421 and always ran at 65% power, it served me well. I have owned a 185 and went into some fantastic places, but those days are gone.Your advise on the engine monitor info forwarded to savvy analysis is exactly what kind of advise I am looking for. Back in the mid 60's i had a friend with a 205, learned to fly the prop with power as to land at 40mph, stop in a 100 ft. those were great days, again thank you for your time ( as that is the most important "one thing" you can do for others, cant buy more of it.KDTS
Last Edit: 4 days 5 hours ago by . Reason: left out info

flying tips 4 days 18 hours ago #583

• STEVE ELLS
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Hi Mr. Churchwell
I think you're making a good decision if the T206 fits your needs.
You're an experienced pilot and my guess is that if you can get the GTSIO engines in a 421 to TBO you won't have any problems making the right decisions on how to operate the engine in a T206.
My recommendation is to fly it by the book except for a couple of things.
1) Lean aggressively on the ground--this will help keep your combustion chambers free of lead build up and will slow the build up of lead on the valve stems.
2) Apply power gradually and always take off at full power. A turbo charged engine is always operated with the mixture at full rich at takeoff--there's no need to lean the mixture when taking off at airports above sea level.
3) Change oil every three months or every 35 hours.
4) I believe that an oil additive called Camguard is worth every penny. Add it to every oil change and when ever you add a quart of oil.
5) I believe new T206s are equipped with an engine monitor. Learn all you can about how to use it. Learn how to set in the warning trigger levels for cylinder head temperature. Do all you can to keep CHTs below 400 deg F.
6) Learn how to download the data from your engine monitor. If you want help deciphering it, sign up for www.savvyanalysis.com. It's amazing how much these guys can tell about how you're operating your engine from the monitor data.
7) Type "T206H POH' in your favorite search engine window; you'll be able to download (for free) a pilots operating handbook for that airplane. Study it and learn the systems.
8) The POH contains performance data for flights up to 24,000 feet. The books seems to suggest that 75 percent power is the recommended maximum power setting at all altitudes. I agree. 65 to 75 percent power settings provide a good combination of performance, stable fuel burn and engine longevity.
9) If you're going to flying into the back country, get some specialized instruction for that kind of flying.
10) I have a copy of Sparky Imeson's "Mountain Flying Bible and Flight Operations Handbook" that I look at often. I suggest that this book will help you answer a lot of the questions you have about a wide range of flying topics.
The best thing you can do to keep your engine healthy is to fly often. Pretty good advice, huh??
Best,
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You:

flying tips 5 days 3 hours ago #582

I am looking to purchase a new T206H after 40 years of flying cessna twins, 414's 421's and others but at 71 i want to keep it safe and simple . Any info on climb mp,rpm,fuel flow in order to protect the engine as well as reasonable cruise settings for 8k and 17.5k.
Time to create page: 0.388 seconds