Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Seat Rail AD 2011-10-09

Seat Rail AD 2011-10-09 11 hours 12 minutes ago #1832

Steve - I pulled the seats and carpets today and cleaned off the seat rails. My IA did the inspection and there is a small crack that has not changed in two years. The crack falls within the acceptable level of the AD. There are no other cracks anywhere on the rail. My IA went through the required checks on the seats and they were all within tolerances. I cleaned and dry lubed the rollers and they are ready to go back.

I’m hoping to start prepping for the annual and I was reading your article:
www.cessnaflyer.org/cessna-singles/cessn...-the-cessna-182.html

I followed your article guidance with my A&P last year and wondered do you have the steps in a spreadsheet or document? I’d like to make electronic notes.

Thanks!
John
182Q - 182TG
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Seat Rail AD 2011-10-09 4 days 22 hours ago #1826

• JOHN OWENS
  • Subscriber
  • Thank you received: 3
Since the Shop had experience with this AD, I used their guidance and they supplied the Rivets. Only rails purchased via McFarlane. Also, a Shop can sometimes purchase the Rails for less than a retail/owners quote. (Another good reason to use a Shop with McFarlane account history.) I just wanted to give the Labor guys the best chance of timely success, and therefore they controlled the parts choice in advance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JOHN QUIMBY

Seat Rail AD 2011-10-09 5 days 23 minutes ago #1825

John - great information thank you. I’m curious that you mentioned the rivets. Did you choose to go with rivets vs. MacFarlane screw kit Part # SR6-SCREW-KT SCREW KIT? They must be special because they want to charge $115 for it. I’m assuming but need to call that it’s actual a bolt kit.
Update: I’m about to tear down my plane and have my annual done on my field. I missed the weather window to get my plane to the new A&P. My local IA is going to review my seat rails and then I can order the parts from MacFarlane. The seat rail price has gone up by $100 since I first looked in May 2018. I guess they can dictate the price since they are the best game in town.

Seat Rail AD 2011-10-09 5 days 20 hours ago #1822

• STEVE ELLS
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 47
Hi John;
Thanks for weighing in with your experience in changing seat rails.
Valuable information
Best,
Steve

Seat Rail AD 2011-10-09 6 days 11 hours ago #1820

• JOHN OWENS
  • Subscriber
  • Thank you received: 3
Regarding the Seat Rail labor.
My 182 E needed both L and R seat rails replaced. I knew this going into the Annual and had already spent the money to obtain the needed parts at McFarlane.
I asked for an estimated amount of labor hours and how many times the shop had replaced Rails. 12 to 16 hours was the estimate, and they went over the rivet, template process in detail. Shop employed a very experienced IA with decades of Cessna experience and two A&P.
Result: as advertised, 16 total hours of labor (both seats.) They also added carpet snaps, did some corrosion floor control with in that time.
Planning ahead benefited not just my budget, but gave the shop a clear timeline to manage this task. The annual and this AD took 3 days, and my airplane was in and out of their shop due to planning and a little pre inspection.
Take away, find a shop with a couple people that have done this AD .

Seat Rail AD 2011-10-09 1 week 4 days ago #1815

• STEVE ELLS
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 47
Hi John;
Yes, you can get the inspection signed off as "unairworthy." Here's what FAR 43.11, paragraph 5 reads:
(5) Except for progressive inspections, if the aircraft is not approved for return to service because of needed maintenance, noncompliance with applicable specifications, airworthiness directives, or other approved data, the following or a similarly worded statement--"I certify that this aircraft has been inspected in accordance with (insert type) inspection and a list of discrepancies and unairworthy items dated (date) has been provided for the aircraft owner or operator."

The next step in getting your airplane back home would be to contact the local Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) and apply for what's called a "ferry permit."
I've attached a pdf that outlines the process for getting a ferry permit.

However, as you can see from note 3 (in red) the IA who said, If it's cracked, replace it" may be a problem.

As you and I read the AD, the track is still airworthy if there are small cracks in certain locations. In fact the AD says, "(8) Visually inspect the seat rails for cracks. (i) If there are seat rail cracks that exceed the crack criteria in figure 5, before further flight, replace the seat rail. "
As I read the illustration on page 13, it appears to me to say replace the rail when: 1) any portion of the web or lower flange is cracked. 2) if there's a crack in the crown of the rail in any direction other than at right angle to the length of the rail; 3) if there are 5 (exceeds four) or more cracks across the crown of the rail, or any two cracks are closer together than one inch.

I take this to mean there can be cracks only if the crack is perpendicular to the length of the rail unless there are 5 or more cracks across the crown or, if the cracks that are perpendicular are closer together than one inch.

I hope this explanation helps, and the IA is willing to understand the verbiage and picture in the AD.

File Attachment:

File Name: ferry_permit.pdf
File Size:528 KB

Let me know how it turns out.

Steve
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds