Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Upper Gear Leg Fairings

Upper Gear Leg Fairings 1 week 4 days ago #1457

Thanks so much for the information and advice. I really appreciate it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Upper Gear Leg Fairings 1 week 4 days ago #1455

• STEVE ELLS
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
Hi, As I remember, but it's been a while, the new fairings are formed so that the attaching screws align with the original holes. I also believe it's necessary to drill new holes. One trick I use to locate holes when they are covered by a new fairing is to draw (with pencil and on masking tape if you prefer) two holes that start outside the area covered by the new fairing and are around 90 degrees to each other, although that measurement is not critical.
Each line should cross the center of the screw hole. These lines that intersect at the location of the (blind) screw hole will point at the exact location to drill the hole in the new fairing.
Steps; 1) draw two lines that cross at the existing screw hole; 2) position new fairing--tape it in place; 3) extend lines onto new fairing; drill a hole where the lines cross. I usually start out with a drill size that's smaller than the end size--this gives me a little "wiggle room" in case of a slight mis location of the crossed lines.

Upper Gear Leg Fairings 2 weeks 6 hours ago #1451

Looking to buy replacement upper gear leg fairings for my 1978 182Q. Several parts suppliers have them. Most of the new fairings appear with a split to ease installation. Even so, the photos don't show small holes on the outside edge of the fairings for screw insertion and attachment to the aircraft frame. Questions: Do these new left and right hand fairings generally have to be drilled before installation? Anybody have experience with this? Recommendations?
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds