Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 182S cabin water leak

182S cabin water leak 1 week 4 days ago #1352

• STEVE ELLS
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 38
Hi SloRoam;
It's my experience that most of the leaks are at the rear window. I wish I could provide a more definite trouble shooting procedure. I have heard of putting a water hose on the top skin of the cabin and turning on the water to try to observe where it's coming in. I suppose you could even add some food coloring dye to a few gallons of water and then spray or trickle it down the top fuselage skin. Look for the colored water.
Certainly water can come in through the fuel line opening if there is a gap in the skin overlap. As I recall, the inboard upper skin on the top surface of the wing overlaps the fuselage skin at the wing root. If you suspect the leak is there, you can temporarily seal that overlap joint with some tape to see if sealing that overlap joint stops water from getting in.
Or as I have written in the past, if you can't hangar your airplane consider buying a canopy/fuselage cover. Most owners have heard of and seen windshield covers but few realize that reputable companies also sell covers that cover a lot more than the windshield. www.customcovers.com is a well known company that manufactures and sell what it calls "over-the-top" covers and "extended over-the-top" covers that will cover all the windows.
If you can get the carpet dried out quickly after the rain water gets in, and the drain holes in the fuselage belly are open, the entry of rain water shouldn't cause too many problems in the long run.
Please let us know what you find out.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

182S cabin water leak 1 week 5 days ago #1351

• SloRoam
  • Subscriber
I also have a leak in a 182k. I removed the carpet, and I only see water on the Port side aft of the door area. I will be doing some more panel removal to see if I can find the source, but curious if I. Addition to the rear window there are also issues at the wing root or where the fuel line descends?

182S cabin water leak 3 months 1 week ago #1217

• STEVE ELLS
  • Administrator
I suggest that the problem may be bad seals on your baggage door. There is more than one company that sells new seals. One that's been around a long time is Brown Aircraft Supply in Jacksonville, FL (www.BrownAircraft.com)
How do your seals look?
Another thing, I'm surprised that three gallons had accumulated in your airplane since Cessnas have fuselage drain holes along the centerline of the belly skins. If they've not there, it's OK to drill them. There should be one on the forward side and one on the aft side of every frame.
If they're not there, it may be because the belly skins were replaced at some time in the past and no one drilled them.
If your airplane is going to outside long, you should consider a canopy cover. Bruces Custom Covers are very good. (www.aircraftcovers.com)

182S cabin water leak( or other 182s) 3 months 1 week ago #1209

i have a similar problem with my 1967 182K
even resealing the rear window failed to correct the problem.
Steve E is correct on the wind direction haing something to do with my problem.
seems rain slanting in from off the rt wing causes the most problemanyone have any thoughts>
John H.

182S cabin water leak 11 months 2 weeks ago #904

Thank you Steve for your prompt response! Glad to hear this is a common problem but it is sure frustrating on an aircraft I have had for such a short time. Especially because it is of unknown origin! I hate mechanical mysteries.
The mechanic found me a hanger for a month until my cover shows up so at least I will not be emptying out the water every week.. I will continue hunting around for ideas. I am sure eventually this mystery will get solved.
Thanks again! :)
Matthew

182S cabin water leak 11 months 2 weeks ago #902

• STEVE ELLS
  • Administrator
Hi Mathew;
Water leaks into the cabin of 182s are very common. And the rear window is usually the culprit, especially on older airplanes since the window sealing putty eventually hardens which allows water in.
But you've checked there.
Two gallons of water is a lot of water. Most of my experience is more in line with soaked rear carpet.
Was the rain especially heavy or wind driven from a particular direction?
I ask because your airplane has a very comprehensive fresh air vent system; if the rain pelted the plane from the the front, I suppose water could enter through the fresh air vent system. Just a guess.
The only thing I can think of to further determine where the water is coming in is to see if it's still a problem after you install your canopy cover.
Sorry I can't give you a better solution or at least a steer for further checking.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds