Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: STOL kits

STOL kits 1 week 2 days ago #1588

• STEVE ELLS
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
This is not quite on topic, but I installed VGs on my Piper Comanche for a couple of reasons. #1; no STOL kit was available; #2 I want controlability as far into the low speed spectrum as possible in the event of an inadvertent off airport landing. The installation of a set of VGs is dirt simple and fool proof. Doesn't take long, either.
If you don't like them or you don't think they are helpful after trying them, they can be removed by heating to 200 deg F with an iron.
Mine came arrived painted white.
I know for a fact that after I installed them--they go on the top of the wings, the bottom of my stabilator and on both sides of the vertical stabilizer, I can handle much stronger cross winds than before I installed them .
They weigh next to nothing.
Some folks claim that installation will cause a loss of top end speed. I did not do before and after speed tests so can't tell you about that.
I'm glad I installed them. Hopefully I never need them to stretch a glide or to touch down at minimum controllable speed, but if that day comes, I've got something that will help.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

STOL kits 1 week 5 days ago #1577

• ROD KLEISS
  • Subscriber
I looked at both STOL kits and VG's for my 172XP. I ended up installing VG's. Stalling is pretty much not an issue for me anymore. At very low speeds the sink rate increases, but I can now land at 50 knots without any issues. They are much cheaper and lighter than STOL, so I'm pretty pleased. But if you do get a STOL kit, I'd love to hear your reaction to it after a few months of flying.

STOL kits 1 week 6 days ago #1576

Does anyone have experience with STOL kits on 172’s? Looking into getting one and would like advice.
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds