Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 172XP performance

172XP performance 1 week 3 days ago #952

Well that sounds like a dandy first long trip for me and my plane Steve. I am going to plan on doing that probably this fall, and I may even try to write a story about it. Ever since I've started flying, I have been doing a lot of things I never did before. Why not try and write a story?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

172XP performance 1 week 3 days ago #948

• STEVE ELLS
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
Hi Rod;
It's a fun trip. I flew my airplane (Piper Comanche with 180 hp engine) to AirVenture a couple of years ago. I live about 60 miles north of Santa Maria. It took 12.4 flight hours.
I didn't really push my schedule and I rolled into Oshkosh around noon on the third day.
My route of flight was KPRB-GRAPE-PMD-DAG-LAS-MLF-KPVU, where I spent the night.
The next day I took off early, which is my key for smooth flying and climbed to 9,500, flew north to a position east of SLC, then I turned east to follow highway 80 through the Parley's Canyon pass and on into the high country of Wyoming. I say high country because Rock Springs (KRKS) airport altitude is 6,764 feet MSL.
As I flew east the land dropped away I altered my course to the north east before landing at Pierre, S. D. (KPIR) to spend the night.
From there it was only an easy flight into OSH after landing a Fairbault, MN (KFBL) for an hour to let the ground fog in Oshkosh clear.
The phone at Coastal Valley Aviation is (805 928-7701. The owner is Phil Kirkham. I've known him for over 20 years. The website is www.cvamx.com.
Why don't you take notes and write an article for Piper Flyer about your adventures and education while flying your Hawk XP.
Best,
Steve

172XP performance 1 week 4 days ago #947

Well, that actually wouldn't be too hard for me to get there Steve. I am working on my IFR ticket and as soon as I have it, I will be looking to get some mountain flying training and then venture out to California. That sounds like an ideal destination. I am now at KGTG in Grantsburg, WI.

172XP performance 1 week 5 days ago #946

• STEVE ELLS
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
Hi Rod;
The first thing I would do would be to rig your airplane. Unfortunately it's not easy to find a mechanic who is familiar with the Cessna single engine rigging procedure. I know how to do it, and need to write a condensed and illustrated guideline for rigging.
Where are you based? If you're anywhere near KSMX in Santa Maria, CA, Phil and his crew at Coastal Valley aviation know exactly how to rig an Hawk XP.
Steve

172XP performance 1 week 5 days ago #945

Oops. Put in one picture twice. Here is the performance page from the POH
Attachments:

172XP performance 1 week 5 days ago #944

Hi, Steve. Thanks for responding. With the JPI 930 and GAMI injectors I can choose my rich or lean of peak settings. LOP always drops my speed down a few knots which I expect. I can reach for speed at any altitude less than 10,000 feet and at the very best ROP settings I still just barely hit above 100 knots. 110 is pretty much the very top with 2500/25 prop and pressure settings. The electronic ignition and GAMI injectors did help engine smoothness a lot and with LOP set, I can cruise 100 knots at 7.5 GPH all day long. I use the G500 true air speed indicator for the speed measurement.

The speeds recorded now are very similar to those I got before the engine mods were done. GAMI's and electronic ignition haven't helped with that. I am attaching a couple of pictures of the plane. The prop is a 76" 2-blade McCauley as specified. I include a picture of my instrument panel and the POH cruise performance numbers for 4,000 ft. At 24 squared they say I should be at 124 knots at 27C, but I am cruising at 100-105 knots. The plane runs really well. It is just that the speeds are nowhere near the factory published speeds. I've only been flying a couple of years so this all is relatively new to me, but it seems I should be closer to their figures than this.

One question I have is how to increase my cruising speed if everything is working correctly and I'm just slow. What would be the most cost effective approach? I intend to keep this plane for a long time.
Attachments:
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds