Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 150/150

150/150 1 week 1 day ago #930

• STEVE ELLS
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
I called Chris at Del Air yesterday. Del Air sells STC approval to install a 150 hp Lycoming and also has approval to install a 180 hp Lycoming in a 150 airframe.
The engine mount has to be sent to one of Del Air's preferred mount modification shops, and some bracketry installed to move the battery back into the tailcone.
Chris estimated that it would take 150 man hours to complete the modification. Parts required are mostly standard aircraft hardware.
Chris told me that Del Air has sold approvals to modify 62 150 airframes..
The administrator has disabled public write access.

150/150 1 week 3 days ago #928

• kelvinvanderlip
  • Subscriber
  • Thank you received: 1
I've got 1967 Cessna 150G, N6280S. My battery is in the tail cone as well.

I added a JPI 800 engine monitor to my plane in 2014 and it has paid for itself in spades, issuing warnings for oil temps, pressure, CHT, EGT, voltage, and giving me really accurate fuel flow information. You get a nice bright flashing light when things happen, rather than when you eventually look at the instruments and start to wonder why a needle is in a different place. The thing also records everything onto a USB stick and you can see how it looks over time. The JPI also directly shows engine horsepower, so no guessing what power you are pulling.

Also, with the added high-altitude capability, I have switched to a vernier mixture control. This lets me get fuel flow almost a gallon per hour lower at altitude, and it makes the engine controls feel a lot better.

The world needs more 150/150s!

150/150 1 week 3 days ago #925

• STEVE ELLS
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
Aero Upgrade has an STC for the following 150s: 150 D through 150 L.
What model is your 150?
I talked to Shawn at Aero Upgrade today. Aero Upgrade has installed the 150 hp engine and fixed pitch prop called out in its STC on 62 aircraft.
The only really modification is to the engine mount. The battery must be moved aft into the tailcone for weight and balance.
Shawn estimated that the man hours required would be around 150 man hours.

I have a call into Del Air and am awaiting their response.

150/150 1 week 4 days ago #924

• kelvinvanderlip
  • Subscriber
  • Thank you received: 1
I have a Cessna 150G witi the DelAir conversion, done in 1998, installing a Lycoming 0-320 E2D. I also have Texan Ranger big fuel tanks (40gal) . There have been several owners since the conversions. I have had the plane for 4 years now (about 160 hours).

I originally thought of it as a touch and go trainer, but I am getting used to flying further afield, and its a good plane for 400 nm legs of 4 about hours with an hour reserve. Simple, fun, still expensive (its an airplane), but a keeper. I am not looking forward to complying with ABS-B out, but that will happen soon anyway.

If I was to change anything, it would be to open up the cowling intakes to get better cylinder head and oil cooling. When the OAT is over 85 F I have to reduce power to 60% (still a lot for this 150) to keep the oil cool, and I have to step climb to altitude. Below 85F its all good. Cruises at 95-100kt, and can carry myself, 40 gallons, and 85 lbs of junk and travel gear. Since no one in their right mind will fly with me, that's perfect (gross is up to 1,760 lbs with another STC).
Last Edit: 1 week 4 days ago by kelvinvanderlip.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jen D

150/150 2 years 5 months ago #401

• Jen D
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 6
Found these, but didn't have a chance to ask for recommendations yet. Will check with our tech guy Steve Ells tomorrow:
Aero Upgrade LLC
8252 Cessna Drive Medowlake Airport
P O Box 25272
Colorado Springs, CO 80936
Phone 800-833-8322
Fax 800-833-8622
email
www.aeroupgrade.com

DelAir
2121 Wildcat Way
Porterville, CA 93257
559-784-9494
Talk to Harry Dellicker

Barbara and Bob Williams
Bush Conversions (Avcon Conversion)
P O Box 431
Udall, KS 67146
Phone: 620-782-3851
Fax: 620-782-3853

150/150 2 years 5 months ago #400

• K Evans
  • Subscriber
I am looking for the best STC to install 150 hp on a Cessna 150 and suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds