September 2005- Turbo-supercharging was patented in 1906, but the system was used only sporadically because of the need of extreme temperature-resistant component materials. During World War II, it found its niche on high-speed, high-altitude bombers, and by the 1940s and ‘50s many large airliners utilized turbocharged Wright and Pratt & Whitney piston engines.
By 1960, the piston engine had been relegated to General Aviation power, and although several aftermarket units were beginning to come on the market, engine maker Continental knew that to ensure long-term reliability, many components would have to be engineered as part of an integral engine design (hence the “TS” in Continental nomenclature stands for Turbo System).
Login or Join to see full article
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.