• AC Spruce 688x190Banner
  • CessnaPiperFlyer
  • CessnaFlyer-Catalog
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: oil temp gauge

oil temp gauge 1 year 2 months ago #48

I am looking for a recommendaton for a reliable company to repair & calibrate my oil temp gauge. I own a 172 c model. Any help appreciated.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by DANIELMATHEWS.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

oil temp gauge 1 year 2 months ago #49

• Jen D
  • Administrator
Hi Daniel,
I'm checking into this.

Jen

oil temp gauge 1 year 2 months ago #51

• Jen D
  • Administrator
Here's a reply from Steve Ells, Contribution Editor and tech guy:
There are two places that come immediately to mind. I’m assuming this is the original bourdon tube type gauge—not an electrical gauge.
If so, Air Parts of Lock Haven can just inspect the repair gauges and affix their repair station yellow tag. If a yellow tag is important, that’s the way to go.
If you (and your mechanic) aren’t too concerned about having a yellow tag you can send the gauge and tube pigtail to the John Wolf Company (www.johnwolfco.com) in Ohio. They can repair it.
There are probably others but those are two I’ve know about for a long time.
In lieu of sending the gauge for calibration, I did a field calibration of mine by removing the bulb end of the gauge from the engine and submerging it in can or saucepan of water. Then I put a hotplate under the water and brought it to a boil. Then I took a Sharpie and marked that spot—since I knew it represented 212 def F—on the instrument face. If the owner is worried about not getting his oil hot enough he can use the same technique to determine 140 deg (too cold) and 180 deg (desired).

We also ran an article about the field calibration in 2011. I'll get a link up to that shortly.

Jen
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Jen D.

oil temp gauge 1 year 2 months ago #52

• Jen D
  • Administrator
Here's Steve's step by step:

...Although many flyers have replaced their primary gauges with digital engine monitors that display oil temperature and pressure readings that are accurate to one degree, there are many, like you, decide to keep using the very reliable Bourdon tube type oil temperature system that Cessna installed.
... The answer I came up with was to calibrate my oil temperature gauge. I removed the temperature bulb from the engine and submerged it—along with a candy thermometer I picked up at a local store— in a sauce pan of water, set the pan on a hot plate and turned on the heat.
When the thermometer indicated 180 degrees I painted a small red dot on the plastic cover that overlays the face of the oil temperature gauge. It doesn't matter what you use for your mark. I used red so it would be visible but not very intrusive. I opted not to put the mark on the instrument itself because that would have required a lot more panel and gauge cluster disassembly and re-assembly.
OTCalibrate.jpg

oil temp gauge 1 year 1 month ago #55

I have done the same, but used oil instead of water. That way one can get higher temperatures than 212.

There is a long time gage maker and repair shop that calibrates regular gauges. I will try to find their name. It starts with an S. Possibly one of the ole timers, before electronic toys, will remember them. I think they are based in Texas.

Doug

oil temp gauge 1 year 1 month ago #58

Alcor is the gauge company I was thinking of. They do test and repair gauges as well as sell replacements. If I am not mistaken most Cessna original gauges were Alcor.

Sorry for taking so long, but it has been some time since I used them and only found their name yesterday.

Doug
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.363 seconds