• ac winter catalog
  • one stop shop
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Cylinder Overheat Problems

Cylinder Overheat Problems 1 year 6 months ago #17

• John B
From member Charles Lloyd:

I wrote two articles on the Operation and Installation of a Insight G3 Engine Monitor. This monitor is a great diagnostic tool where I found that the two middle cylinders were running hot well into the caution zone. A minor mod to the inter-cylinder baffles was the answer, so I thought. Flying last month on a warm spring day showed the problem was still there - two hot middle cylinders.

Looking at the baffle seals showed a lot of space where air entering the cowl was going to all the wrong places and not through the cylinder fins. I am in the process of installing McFarland Aviation Teflon coated baffles seals. In addition I am zealously searching out and closing all the holes in the Cessna baffle enclosure sheet metal.

I will have an article for the Flyer soon describing the good and the bad and how to see if you have cooling problems you may not know that exist with your aircraft engine.

Fly Safe,

Charles
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Cylinder Overheat Problems 1 year 2 months ago #68

• Jeff S
  • Subscriber
  • Thank you received: 1
Charles,you are on the right track! I am a big advocate of engine monitors that register both EGT and CHT. Not only are they helpful in saving fuel, You learn a lot about what your engine is doing, it's like being hooked up to an EKG and a Blood pressure monitors. You found that your 3 and 4 cylinders were running hot, without the monitor you would probably never have known. Most problems with heated engines IS a problem with the baffling! I found that a great many pilots never think about the baffling. One of my mentors and good friend, Earl Moffitt,was a gentleman who was a maintenance Guru that specialized in metal work. He taught me how important baffling is in engine cooling. It is so important to check all the rubber baffles under the cowling in addition to checking all the metal spacers between the cylinders and plugging all gaps in the metal work around the engine compartment. Get a light source behind the metal, if you can see any light showing through no matter how small, plug the hole. RTV works well.

Jeff Strouse
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds